What to Expect at NAMWOLF’s 2016 Business Meeting in New Orleans
By: Joshua Brown, Lee & Kinder LLC, Denver, Colorado
We are all very excited for the up-and-coming Business Meeting taking place in New Orleans on February 20th-23rd. The Business Meeting is attended by Law Firm Members, in addition to a fast growing number of In-House Counsel, who are dedicated to the mission and vision of NAMWOLF and work with us to help us in identifying and achieving our goals. As a first time attendee last year, I can confirm that it served as a great opportunity to increase my firm’s participation and relationships with NAMWOLF Law Firms, attend CLE and network with in-house lawyers. Here are some of the highlights from this year’s Business Meeting.
Saturday, February 20th
- Kickoff cocktail reception with the NAMWOLF Board of Directors (5:30 p.m – 7:00 p.m.) This is an excellent opportunity to meet all the hard working members of the Board and catch up with members from across the country.
Sunday, February 21st
- Amazing Race Around New Orleans (9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.). A fan favorite, this is a great way to experience all the wonderful scenery, landmarks and iconic locations of New Orleans.
- Featured Speaker & Luncheon - John Lewis, Jr., Global Chief Diversity Officer at The Coca-Cola Company (12:15 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.). Do not miss this great chance to hear the perspective and insight of Mr. Lewis, along with the diversity efforts of the Coca-Cola Company.
- Prudential Group and Walmart Presentation (In-House Only Session) (1:45 p.m. – 2:45 p.m.) Representatives from both Prudential and Walmart legal departments will comment on each company’s valuable use of NAMWOLF law firms.
- Two Great Afternoon CLE Sessions (3:00 p.m. – 5:25 p.m.) The first session is a valuable learning tool on different outlooks on presenting CLEs and presentations to make your next speaking opportunity the talk of all the attendees and standout among your peers. The second session will be hosted by the Trials PAC, providing an insightful presentation of members mastering the art of successful trial cross examination of experienced and seasoned experts.
- Evening Cocktail Reception (6:15 p.m. – 7:15 p.m.) Make sure you wear comfy shoes. We will make participating in a New Orleans tradition!
Monday, February 22nd
- Welcome Address from Joel (8:15 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.). Don’t miss the welcoming address from Joel as he provides updates regarding NAMWOLF’s efforts across the country, success stories and outlooks for 2016.
- Morning CLEs/Sessions (9:10 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.). The morning is packed with three great CLEs for members.
- (9:10 a.m. – 10:40 a.m.) The first hour-and-a-half features one CLE presented by the Emerging Leaders; a session designed for Partners by the Law Firm Management; and two sessions for In-House Counsel:
o Emerging Leaders Session: Ready for Action? Hone Your Expert Cross- Examination Techniques.
o Law Firm Management Session: Management Solutions to Everyday Problems - The Conversation Continues.
o The Advisory Council Meeting for In-House Counsel and a Meeting for the Inclusion Initiative.
- (10:50 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.) The second hour-and-a-half features two more simultaneous CLEs presented by Labor & Employment and Products and Liability PACs:
o Labor & Employment PAC: The Contingent Workforce: Best Practices in an Uncertain Legal Landscape.
o Products Liability PAC: 2015 Class Action Litigation Year in Review.
- Luncheon, Featured Speaker Gwen Marcus, Executive Vice President, General Counsel, Showtime Networks Inc. (12:15 p.m. – 1:45 p.m.)
- Afternoon CLEs (1:55 p.m. – 4:35 p.m.) Join the Retail Restaurant & Hospitality, Intellectual Property, Transactional, Financial Services, Insurance and White Collar PACs for their respective CLEs:
o Retail Restaurant & Hospitality: This CLE will be thought-provoking and informative presentation on a variety of hot legal topics currently of interest in the restaurant, retail and hospitality industries.
o Transactional: This presentation will explore and provide tips on navigating the ever-changing regulatory landscape affecting U.S. corporations and financial institutions.
o Intellectual Property: The intersection of intellectual property and employment law is becoming more common these days.
o Insurance Practice: This CLE will focus on issues surrounding the confidentiality and preservation of attorney-client information and work-product protections involving insurance cases.
o White Collar: In the changing environment of cybersecurity, answers and guidance will be provided about what to do if a regulated entity or public company is involved in an SEC investigation.
- Evening Cocktail Reception (6:15 p.m. – 7:15 p.m.)
- Dine Arounds by Practice Area (7:30 p.m.)
Tuesday, February 23rd
- Marketing Best Practices Committee – Keeping your Marketing Strategies Fresh (8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.). The Marketing session is always popular with attendees providing real tools and strategies to take back to your offices.
- Morning Meetings (9:35 a.m. – 10:35 a.m.). Join the Law Firm Admissions Committee, the Intellectual Property PAC and the Membership and Engagement Committee for their planning and regular meetings.
- Law Firm Cross-Marketing Session (10:40 a.m. – 11:40 a.m.). A final networking opportunity for law firm members with a focus on cross-marketing and developing relationships amongst the members firms of NAMWOLF.