Cherine Smith Valbrun concentrates her practice in complex commercial and tort litigation matters. She has extensive experience in civil litigation, including breaches of contracts, employment issues and disputes, commercial torts, and shareholder and partnership disputes. She has successfully domesticated out-of-country foreign money-judgments and successfully represented clients through a trial that challenged the recognition of an out-of-country foreign judgment entered in a multimillion dollar lawsuit. She also has experience in drafting and negotiating commercial agreements.
Ms. Smith Valbrun has represented clients from a wide variety of industries including manufacturing, accounting services, recruiting, information technology consulting, retail merchandising, homeowners’ associations, and other service providers. She has represented individuals and corporate entities in class action and multi-party litigation.
Ms. Smith Valbrun was born and raised in Kingston, Jamaica.
Honors & Recognition
• Florida Trend, Florida Legal Elite Up and Comer, 2015 • Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2010, 2015 • Legacy Magazine, 40 Under 40 Leaders of Today and Tomorrow, 2014 • Broward Lawyers Care, Award for Recognition of Pro Bono Service, 2014
The Florida Bar & Community Service
• Fellow, The Florida Bar Leadership Academy • Board of Governors, Young Lawyers Division, The Florida Bar • Fellow, The Florida Bar Business Law Section, 2013 Diversity Fellowship Program • Member, The Florida Bar Grievance Committee, 17th Judicial Circuit • Board of Directors, Young Lawyers Division, Broward County Bar Association • Chair, AOC Conference Committee, Young Lawyers Division, Broward County Bar Association • Chair, Pro Bono Committee, Young Lawyers Division, Broward County Bar Association • Board Member (2010-present), Caribbean Bar Foundation • Member, Past-President (2009-2010), Board Member (2010-2011), Caribbean Bar Association • Board Member, Legal Services of Greater Miami • Member, National Bar Association • Member, Broward County Bar Association
• University of Miami B.A., Political Science, cum laude, 2003
• General Honors • Departmental Honors • Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2006
• Washington Metropolitan Area Corporate Counsel Association Scholar • 2005 Greater Washington Area Chapter, Women Lawyers Division National Bar, Association Scholar • 2004 Pro Bono Pledge Honoree • International Law Society
• All Florida Courts • U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
• Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, Washington, DC, Legal Extern • DunnCox, Kingston, Jamaica, Legal Intern • Steel Hector & Davis LLP, Miami, FL, Legal Intern • Washington Gas & Light Co., Legal Department, Washington, DC, Legal Intern