Robert C. L. Vaughan focuses his practice on commercial and international litigation and alternative dispute resolution. He represents clients in US state and federal courts, and in matters pending before Caribbean courts. Mr. Vaughan is rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell - its highest rating for professional excellence. He has successfully tried civil and criminal cases, both bench and jury, in state and federal court in Florida. He has handled successful multimillion-dollar jury trials, class action litigation and multidistrict litigation, and represented numerous domestic and international clients through verdict and pre-trial dispositive hearings.
As lead trial counsel, Mr. Vaughan has successfully obtained preliminary injunctive relief for clients engaged in non-compete and trade secret litigation and shareholder disputes. He also has represented clients in trial and appellate courts in a wide variety of areas including insurance defense, shareholder litigation, business torts, “ponzi” fraud, attorneys’ fees litigation, and general contract disputes. Mr. Vaughan has represented clients in many industries including insurance, hospitality, agriculture, manufacturing, investments, information technology, aviation, and finance.
Honors & Recognition
• AV Preeminent, Martindale Hubbell • Chambers USA, Litigation: General Commercial, Florida, 2014, 2015 • Super Lawyers Business Edition (National), Litigation, 2012 • Florida Super Lawyers, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 • South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyer, 2014, 2015 • ICABA, Top 100 Blacks in Healthcare and Law (inaugural directory), 2009 • Florida Trend, Florida Legal Elite, 2007-2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 • South Florida Legal Guide, Top Up and Comer, 2005-2012 • Revistas Abogados, Abogados Destacados del Sur de la Florida, 2013 • South Florida Business Journal, Up & Comer Finalist, 2006 • Florida Trend, Florida Top Up & Comer, 2006
The Florida Bar & Community Service
• Board of Directors, Broward County Bar Association • Member, National Bar Association • Member, International Bar Association, Business Law Section • Former Member, Past Chair, The Florida Bar Grievance Committee • Former Board Member, Dade County Bar Association • Board Member, NYU Law Black, Latino, Asian Pacific American Law Alumni • Past President, Caribbean Bar Association • Former Board Member, Hands on Miami, 2007 recipient of the prestigious Presidential Volunteer Service Award for his service to Hands on Miami • Member, Dean's Advisory Board, FIU School of Law • Member, Florida Supreme Court Committee on Fairness & Diversity
• New York University, J.D., 1997 • UWI Norman Manley School of Law – Legal Education Certificate, 1999 • State University of New York - Stony Brook, B.A., cum laude, 1994 • University of the West Indies, Mona Campus – (transferred), 1991-1992
• All Florida Courts • U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit • U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida • U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida • U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida • The Supreme Court of Jamaica, West Indies
• Kim Vaughan Lerner LLP, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 2010–present, Partner • Squire Sanders & Dempsey LLP, Miami, Florida, 2005-2010, Partner • Steel Hector & Davis LLP, Miami, Florida, 1997-2005, Partner
• NITA Trial Skills Programs
• National Session (Louisville, CO) • Florida Regional Trial Skills Program • NITA Teacher Training Programs
• Advocacy Teacher Training (San Francisco, CA, and Louisville, CO) • In House Training Programs
• Allstate Trial Skills Program • State Farm Trial Skills Program • International Teaching Experience
• Advocacy Teacher Training, Pristina, Kosovo (U.S. Dept. of Justice), January 2010 • Advocacy Teacher Training, Pristina, Kosovo (U.S. Dept. of Justice, Consultant), October, 2010 • Legal Services of Greater Miami