The law firm of Greene and Letts was established in 1990 by Martin P. Greene and Eileen M. Letts. The firm has steadily grown in size, prestige, and client base since that time. We believe the best representation we can provide necessarily includes high quality and responsive service on a cost-effective basis.
Today, the firm’s practice is ideally suited to provide optimal services to any client: large enough to handle complex matters, while making certain the most experienced attorneys remain accessible to the client. Greene and Letts attorneys have the talent to provide the most sophisticated legal services and the conviction to provide bold opinions and solid counsel. In doing so, we never lose sight of our client’s best interest and ultimate decision-making authority. We have handled sophisticated matters for a variety of large and small clients, which include Fortune 500 corporations, municipal bodies and sole proprietorships.
The firm has received an "AV" rating by the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, the highest rating available. Greene and Letts is listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers and our employment law practice has garnered the distinction of being named by The American Lawyer magazine as one of the best firms in the country for service, quality, and value. The firm has been included on Corporate Counsel magazine’s list of “Who Represents America's Biggest Companies” and is also listed as experienced co-counsel in the Municipal Bond Attorneys section of The Bond Buyer's Municipal Marketplace.
ATTORNEYS: Martin P. Greene, Co-Managing Partner; Eileen M. Letts, Co-Managing Partner; Joelle M. Shabat, Associate; Christopher S. Davis, Special Counsel; Peter F. Heraty, Of-Counsel; Alfred M. Swanson, Of-Counsel, William C. Martin, Of-Counsel and Johnetta Paye, Of-Counsel.
• TORT DEFENSE PRACTICE: From defending multi-million dollar actions involving premises liability and third-party claims to defending multi-party claims of environmental personal injuries, Greene and Letts provides tort defense litigation services to numerous insurance companies, self-insured corporations and municipalities. This extensive tort defense portfolio includes an array of personal injury, premises liability, motor vehicle liability, toxic tort, motor vehicle liability, medical malpractice, product liability, third-party criminal liability claims and governmental liability cases.
• EMPLOYMENT PRACTICE: Greene and Letts is widely recognized for expertise in employment and labor law. We have defended claims involving: all forms of discrimination, retaliatory discharge, unemployment insurance, wrongful discharge and wage and hour multi-party actions. Greene and Letts attorneys have litigated employment-related cases before the Federal District Court for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois, the Northern District of Indiana and the Eastern District of Michigan as well as the Cook County Circuit Court. We have also practiced before administrative agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Merit Systems Protection Board, State of Illinois Human Rights Commission and similar agencies in other states. The firm has handles appeals before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, along with the Illinois Appellate Court.
• LABOR RELATIONS: The firm’s experience with labor negotiations includes serving as Chief Negotiator in collective bargaining negotiations on behalf of various public entities such as the County of Cook and the Housing Authority of Joliet. The firm also has experience in handling grievances and arbitrations, including unfair labor practice matters for the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County. As to other arbitrations, during 2007-2008, Greene and Letts served as one of three firms selected by a major food producer on a nationwide basis to provide single grievant discipline/discharge arbitrations and precedent setting contract interpretation arbitrations.
• GENERAL CIVIL LITIGATION: In most cases, our client’s best interest is served by an early resolution of litigation. After all, the client is typically in the business of manufacturing and/or selling goods and services rather than the business of litigation. We encourage clients to explore all opportunities to reach a negotiated resolution of the litigation. This sometimes requires creative solutions and often requires the use of an independent mediator. Where settlement is not possible, we are well aware that the strongest position for client is to be able to answer, “Ready for trial.” Often, those three words end up bridging any remaining settlement gap.
• PUBLIC FINANCE: In the recent past, Greene and Letts has participated in more than twenty public finance transactions, with issuance amounts exceeding $2.5 billion, collectively. The firm’s demonstrated skill in providing expert legal advice on public finance issues is evident from its engagements as Bond or Co-Bond Counsel, Underwriter’s or Co-Underwriter’s Counsel, Issuer’s Counsel, and Trustees counsel by the major issuers in Illinois who require exceptional counsel. Some of our client-issuers include: City of Chicago, Chicago Board of Education, Chicago Transit Authority, Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago, Illinois Finance Authority and Illinois Educational Facilities Authority.
RECENT DEVELOPMENTS: Recently firm attorneys have skillfully conducted nine jury trials on matters ranging from excessive force by police officers, to the defense of a major oil company against allegations of negligence in a personal injury matter. In addition to the trials, the firm has obtained the following recent victories: Summary judgments on behalf of defendants in a personal injury and employment matters; motion to dismiss granted in an excessive force matter brought against a major university.
REPRESENTATIVE CLIENTS: Attorney General of the State of Illinois | Chubb Insurance Group | Chicago Board of Education | City Colleges of Chicago | Chicago State University | City of Chicago | Comcast Cable Communications | County of Cook (Illinois) | Discover Financial Services | Exxon Mobil | Gary Community School Corporation | Illinois Attorney General | Illinois Tool Works | Illinois Department of Insurance | Illinois Finance Authority | Jupiter Aluminum Corporation | Liberty Mutual Insurance | Metra Rail | Northern Trust Bank | Northwestern Memorial Healthcare | Petco Animal Supplies | Prudential Insurance Company | Target Stores | Union Pacific Corporation | University of Chicago | University of Chicago Medical Center | University of Illinois at Chicago
WHY GREENE AND LETTS? “The District prevailed because the team from Greene and Letts …proved that the path to the truth is not that elusive…. The skills and abilities of your attorneys in showing the jury the path to the truth are certainly appreciated by me, as chief counsel, as well as the General Superintendent and the Board of Commissioners.” Michael G. Rosenberg, Attorney, Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago, 2005
Martin P. Greene is founder and co-managing partner of Greene and Letts, a nationally-respected law firm he founded with Eileen M. Letts in 1990. Greene’s primary practice is in labor, employment law and other civil litigation. He represents such clients as: Discover Financial Services, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Norwegian American Hospital, University of Illinois and University of Chicago (J.D. ’77).
Greene serves on a Board of Visitors for the University of Illinois at Chicago (B.A ‘74), and the Advisory Board of Institute for Inclusion in the Legal Profession. He is President of National Minority Law Group and the firm is active in National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms. He served on transition teams for Mayor Harold Washington and President Ronald Reagan (under the direction of the late Jewel S. LaFontant). Raised on Chicago’s West side, Greene graduated from St. Ignatius College Prep. Greene is a member of the American, National and Cook County Bar Associations.
Greene is a frequent speaker on labor and employment matters and on the need for greater diversity in business and education.
Directory Listing Information
Greene and Letts
INSURANCE:Auto INSURANCE:Construction INSURANCE:Coverage INSURANCE:Employment Practices INSURANCE:General Liability INSURANCE:Homeowners INSURANCE:Medical Malpractice INSURANCE:Premises INSURANCE:Product Liability INSURANCE:Property INSURANCE:Regulatory INSURANCE:Third Party INSURANCE:Transportation CIVIL TRIAL: BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS: BUSINESS:General Business Counseling CONTRACT: LITIGATION: LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:ADA (litigation) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:ADA (compliance) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Advising on Employee Matters LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Agency Investigations LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Arbitration LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Class Actions LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Counseling LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Drafting Employee Handbooks / Policies / Documents SECURITIES: REAL ESTATE:Acquisitions, Leasing & Dispositions REAL ESTATE:Eminent Doman
We have represented the following clients:
Attorney General of the State of Illinois | Chubb Insurance Group | Chicago Board of Education | City Colleges of Chicago | Chicago State University | City of Chicago | City of Harvey (Illinois) | Comcast Cable Communications | County of Cook (Illinois) | Discover Financial Services | Exxon Mobil | Gary Community School Corporation | Illinois Attorney General | Illinois Tool Works | Illinois Department of Insurance | Illinois Finance Authority Jupiter Aluminum Corporation | Liberty Mutual Insurance | Metra Rail | Northern Trust Bank | Northwestern Memorial Healthcare | Petco Animal Supplies | Prudential Insurance Company | Target Stores | U.S. Small Business Administration | Union Pacific Corporation | University of Chicago | University of Chicago Medical Center | University of Illinois at Chicago | U.S. Small Business Administration
Civil Trial Labor & Employment Law
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois