Nemeth Law, P.C. is a recognized leader in management labor and employment law – an exclusive area of practice since the firm was founded in 1992. Serving a broad range of private and public sector employers, the Firm's outstanding performance in this niche area has earned an "AV" rating from Martindale-Hubbell - "A" signifying the highest level of legal ability, and the "V" denoting a "very high" adherence to professional standards of conduct, ethics, reliability and diligence.
Nemeth Law’s exclusive commitment to – and passion for- the practice of labor and employment law sets us apart from corporate law firms. It also affords the firm a variety of unique legal experiences within our employment law specialty and the ability to offer approachable, responsive and efficient service to our clients. We provide in-depth and experience-based legal advice from a legal team where the majority of attorneys have 20 or more years of experience in the field. We serve employers of all sizes, including FORTUNE 500 companies and companies involved in complex multi-plaintiff litigation with numerous counts and voluminous documents. As a matter of fact, our award winning modification and application of a legal software program for complex employment litigation cases reflects our attorneys’ belief that legal innovation takes place in and out of the courtroom.
As a boutique labor and employment management firm, Nemeth Law can provide employment litigation, traditional labor law and management consultation services with a client-friendly fee structure. With our focus on employment law, Nemeth Law generally has more attorneys dedicated solely to this specialized area than large full service law firms, where employment attorneys may also practice in other legal areas not related to employment.
When clients select Nemeth Law, they select a firm with a singular focus: to put the client first in prevention, resolution, and litigation of employment disputes.
What Sets Us Apart
What sets us apart from corporate or boutique law firms? That’s a good question with several answers. Nemeth Law, P.C. is Detroit-based but nationally recognized. Since its founding in 1992, all growth is attributable to the talents and tenacity of our team. Nemeth Law did not break off from another firm with a built-in client base or add merged firms along the way. Instead, we have flourished through client referrals and recommendations from business owners, executives, and community and government leaders who know our passion for management side labor and employment law.
With specialties in employment litigation, traditional labor law and management consultation for private and public sector employers, Nemeth Law focuses on niche areas of the law that are typically served by male attorneys. As a result of hard work and outstanding legal knowledge and experience, Nemeth Law is now the largest woman-owned law firm in Michigan to exclusively represent management in the prevention, resolution and litigation of labor and employment disputes.
Nemeth Law continually strives to be a model law firm employer. One of the ways we do this is by creating a collegial atmosphere where clients are ‘firm clients’ and not solely the responsibility of one attorney. In addition to being the best, team-focused way to provide optimal legal service to our clients, we also believe the ‘firm client’ approach eliminates unnecessary competition that can negatively impact a positive corporate culture.
Because of our in-depth knowledge of labor and employment law, Nemeth Law collaborates each year with the Wayne State University Law School Law Review to research and compile the Annual Survey of Michigan Employment and Labor Law, a summary and analysis of the important labor and employment decisions of the preceding year.
Patricia Nemeth Founding Partner
• Masters of Labor Law (L.L.M.), with honors, Wayne State University School of Law • Juris Doctor (J.D.) - Wayne State University School of Law • Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Psychology, Sociology, with honors - University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Licensed to practice
• Eastern District of Michigan • Michigan State Appellate Courts • Michigan Supreme Court • Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals • State Courts in Michigan and Illinois • Western District of Michigan • United States Supreme Court
State Bar Admissions
• Michigan • Illinois
An attorney since 1984, Ms. Nemeth specializes in the labor and employment arena as a mediator, litigator, consultant, and negotiator. Her areas of expertise include, but are not limited to investigations, reductions in force/layoffs and rehiring after layoffs, religious, ethnic, and gender discrimination, workplace harassment, wrongful discharge, union organizing activities and multi-party lawsuits. Industries served include healthcare, nursing homes, retail, manufacturing, gaming, insurance, and government entities. Ms. Nemeth serves as a certified mediator for all types of civil litigation matters, including employment.
• 3rd-10th Annual Advanced Negotiation and Dispute Resolution Institute • 40 hour ICLE Mediation Training; Certified Mediator • American Bar Association, ADR in Bloom, Washington DC • American Arbitration Association; Certified Mediator • Association for International Arbitrators; Certified Mediator • Designated Mediator for Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation • American Bar Association, Advanced Mediation and Advocacy Skills Institute
Mediation Teaching Experience
• 8th Annual Advanced Negotiation and Dispute Resolution Institute, ICLE • Enforcing Employment (Not Labor) Arbitration Awards, American Arbitration Association
Memberships and Affiliations
• State Bar of Michigan, Labor and Employment Law Section and International Law Section • American Arbitration Association Task Force Employment Arbitrations • American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section, Insurance Law Section, and Dispute Resolution Section, and Litigation Section • Inforum • The Detroit Economic Club • Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce
• Vista Maria, Vice Chair/Executive Board member; formerly served on Vista Maria’s Marketing and Fund Development Committee for eight years. Ms. Nemeth was presented with the Distinguished Volunteer Award by the Association of Fundraising Professionals in 2005 for her work with Vista Maria. In 2001, Ms. Nemeth received an award from Vista Maria for Outstanding Board Leadership.
• Graduate, 2004-2005 Leadership Detroit XXVI Class.
Noted Presentations and Publications
Ms. Nemeth has written and co-authored numerous articles, as well as the annual law review survey articles on Labor and Employment Law for the Wayne State University School of Law. Publications of particular note include:
• “Trends in Employment Practices Liability Insurance and Directors and Officers Coverage,” Travelers Insurance Group • “Not Always Black and White,” Co-author, Michigan Lawyers Weekly • “Small Firm, Big Opportunities: Discover the Advantages of a Small/Medium Firm,” Wayne State Law School • “Sex and Gender in the Work Place,” Travelers Insurance Group • “The Debate Over Michigan’s Right-To-Work Law,” Co-author, Employment Law 360 • “Unemployment: How to Defend and Prepare,” Health Care Association of Michigan • “Don’t be Bullied by the EEOC,” Allied Insurance • “Minimize Risks While Hosting a Holiday Party at Work,” Co-author, Corp! Magazine • “What’s your Facebook Password? NoneOfYourBu5ine55,” Co-author, Michigan Lawyers Weekly • “Employer Issues Before and After a Disaster: Is Your Company Prepared,” Author, Detroit Regional Chamber • “Starting Your Own Law Practice,” Author, Young Lawyers Section of State Bar of Michigan • “Don’t Let Election Politics Disrupt Your Workplace,” Co-author, Corp! Magazine • “What’s your Facebook Password? None Of Your Business,” Author, Michigan Lawyers Weekly • “Don’t be Blind-Sided by GINA,” Co-author, Executive Counsel • “How the NLRB Views Social Media Disciplinary Issues,” Co-author, Law.com • “Genetic Discrimination in Employment,” Co-author, Michigan Bar Journal • Annual Survey of Employment and Labor Law, Co-author, Wayne Law Review, 2005-present • “Seeking Clarity on Michigan Medical Marijuana Law,” Co-author, Employment Law 360 • “Employment Firms Impacted by Labor History, Other Factors,” Author, Detroit Legal News • “To Blog or Not to Blog: Employee and Employer Guidelines,” Co-author, Michigan Lawyers Weekly
Ms. Nemeth has presented employment law seminars and participated as a speaker or panelist for a variety of groups including:
• AIG • American Society of Employers • Beazley Group • Channel 4 News • Chubb Group of Insurance Companies • Comcast Newsmakers • Due Process and the Law (Detroit Public Television) • Health Care Association of Michigan • Institute of Continuing Legal Education • Joint Labor Management Counsel • Michigan Municipal Risk Management Association • Michigan Public Employer’s Relations Association • National Association of Legal Secretaries • National Public Radio – All Things Considered • State Bar of Michigan • Traveler’s Insurance Group • WDET – The Craig Fahle Show • Women Entrepreneurs of Canada • WWJ – 950 Radio
Honors and distinctions
• Rated by Martindale Hubbell, a rating system compiled by peers in the legal community, as “AV”, the highest rating for legal ability and upholding ethics in the legal profession • Best Lawyers® in America – Labor and Employment; 2010-2014 • Michigan Super Lawyers – 2006 to present, including recognition as one of the top 50 Women Super Lawyers in the State of Michigan • Chambers USA, Employment and Labor, 2010-2012 • One of the 25 Michigan “Leaders in the Law” - Michigan Lawyer’s Weekly, 2009 • Distinguished Alumni Award – Wayne State University Law School, 2009 • Detroit’s Top Lawyers – DBusiness Magazine, 2009-2013 • Women in the Workplace Leadership Award – Michigan Business Professionals Association, 2010 • One of the 100 most influential women in Southeast Michigan – Inforum, 2008 • Labor and Employment Law Delegate to China, 2006
Directory Listing Information
Nemeth Law, P.C.
LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:ADA (litigation) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:ADA (compliance) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Advising on Employee Matters LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Agency Investigations LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Arbitration LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Class Actions LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Counseling LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Davis-Bacon Act (compliance) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Davis-Bacon Act (litigation) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:DOL Audits LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Drafting Employee Handbooks / Policies / Documents LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation (non-litigation) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation (litigation) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:ERISA (litigation) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:ERISA (non-litigation) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:ERISA (compliance) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:FLSA (litigation) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:FLSA (non-litigation) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:FMLA (litigation) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:FMLA (compliance) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Harassment / Discrimination / Retaliation LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:I-9 Compliance LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Immigration LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Internal Investigations LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:International Employment Law LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Labor LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Multidistrict Litigation LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:NLRB LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:OFCCP LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:OSHA (litigation) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:OSHA (compliance) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:OWBPA LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Sarbanes-Oxley LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Service Contract Act LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Title VII LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Trade Secret LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Training LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Union Campaigns LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Union Negotiations LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Wage & Hour (litigation) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Wage & Hour (compliance) LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Walsh-Healy Act LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT:Whistle Blowing
Michigan Eastern District Bankruptcy Court Michigan Western District Bankruptcy Court